Saturday, October 16, 2010

Well I've been here six weeks and I finally figured out how to cross the street by myself.  I had thought I mastered that skill in only a couple weeks, but as we were crossing the road from the palace one day (the kids play sports on the palace grounds) I was crossing with a student and another teacher.  We started across and I was looking to the right to make sure it was still clear when suddenly a strong black arm threw itself across my torso and stopped me short.  I looked over in surprise to realize that the teacher had saved me from being smashed by a taxi that was literally inches from my nose.  I keep forgetting that traffic come from the other way and so when you're crossing you have to look for oncoming traffic from the left because these people drive on the wrong dang side of the road. What was most surprising, though, was that the teacher had the reflexes of a tiger.  He went from walking calmly beside me to holding me stock-still in a split second.  So anyway now I can cross the street alone, but no one will let me.  Every time someone sees me approaching the street, they will run up and hold my hand all the way across.  haha Maybe it's God's way of saving me from my own reflexes, which are more akin to an elephant. 

Even though we're in the middle of the city, the nights are really quiet here.  I have taken to spending most of my spare time at the school.  But every time I'm there Peter thinks that I need food.  Or tea.  Like last Sunday when I went over after service to help Head Teacher print shirts from primary students.  We hadn't been there for long when Peter came walking silently up to us, holding a bowl of rice and fish in either hand.  He didn't say anything, but he held the bowls out to us with that gentle smile (you know the one, Bro. Lovall) that could probably soften the heart of Satan himself.  He disappeared and came back in a moment with two cups of steaming ginger tea.  The problem was that I had just eaten lunch.  The rice was very good and I ate as much as I could, but I think that's the first time in my life that I've ever prayed that God would give me strength to eat more haha.  I finally had to give the rest of my rice to Teacher Eddie.  He was telling me while we were eating that he had been going to a different church for a long time but he couldn't understand Christianity at all.  He took his Bible to his pastor and asked him to explain it, but the pastor couldn't explain it, either.  Eddie was thinking that from what he read there had to be only One God and finally he found the church here and the missionary explained salvation to him.  He got baptized and got the Holy Ghost and now he's the assistant pastor.  And he has the cuuuuuutest little girl who goes to the Primary.  They keep her head shaved and I always have to touch it when she skampers by, LoL.

No comments:

Post a Comment