Saturday, October 23, 2010

Two weekends ago Sis. Tolstad took me to see the headwaters of River Nile.  It was so cool!  She said I could have someone go with me and I chose Peter, and John went, too.  So did Samson and Tonney.  The six of us had a wonderful time.  We took a boat out on the river and saw some beautiful falls and watched some people washing their clothes in the Nile and laying them out on the rocks to dry.  Our tour guide told us all about why the river flows backwards (north).  He said that the Nile's source is Lake Victoria, which is at a very high altitude.  From there it flows through Uganda and then northward to Sudan, which is at a lower altitude and then ends in Egypt, which is at a lower altitude still, where it ends more than 6000 kilometers from its beginning.  I stuck my hands in the water off the side of the boat and thought, "This is the river that turned to blood.  This is the river where baby Moses' basket floated until the Pharoah's daughter found it."  And then the guide started telling us some more of its history that I can't really remember because I as I looked around I realized how very big the Nile is.  It's very wide.  When I noticed that, all I could think of was the history that I had read of Uganda before I came, and how one day Idi Amin threw the bodies of the people he had slaughtered that day into Lake Victoria, and there were so many bodies that they clogged up the mouth of the mighty River Nile.  Sometimes I wonder why God still loves us.

1 comment: